Monday, March 16, 2009

A lot fewer folks watching "Watchmen"

A week or so ago, I more or less (mostly more) predicted a second week tumble for "Watchmen" revenues. It seemed to me that a two-hour and 43-minute movie that received mostly mixed reviews would have a difficult time repeating its opening weekend triumph. I was right.

In its second weekend, "Watchmen" recorded a whopping 67 percent decline in box-office receipts, grossing $18,070,000 and placing second after "Race to Witch Mountain," which opened with a $25-million weekend. The remake of Wes Craven's 1972 cult favorite, "Last House on the Left," came in third with a weekend gross of $14,658,000.

A couple of things to remember: If you love a movie, you love it. Forget about the box office. Second, opening weekend box-office revenues can be misleading. As the horse-racing cliche goes: It's not how they start, it's how they finish.

I don't normally comment on grosses, but if box-office roulette's your thing, you should bookmark the site, www.boxofficemojo.com. It's a great source of information for those addicted to the numbers game.

Am I gloating? Not really. This short post arrives in response to a reader inquiry about "Watchmen's" second weekend. If there's anything to be learned here, it might be this: If you haven't seen the movie, you might do well to start with the Alan Moore graphic novel on which it's based. It has legions of fans and not many detractors.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was surprised to see that Watchmen fell so hard. Though, I guess once it got released, people were able to make realistic reviews of the film. As for Witch Mountain, I was not totally disappointed, but I expected a little bit more out of it.

Anonymous said...

WE finally got to see let the right one in on dvd. I have mixed feelings- it is visually powerful and the performances by the children are stunning. However it was a bit more violent than I expected.